The Archaeological section is one of the important section among the four major sections of the Directorate of Research Dy. Director of Research (Archaeology) is the over all in-charge of the Archaeological Section and Assistant Director is the immediate subordinate of the Dy. Director (Archaeology) is directly related with the Technical Assistants (Archaeology) and Assistant Curator (Archaeology). The Technical Assistants (Archaeology) and Assistant Curator (Archaeology) are looking after the archaeological field activities and museum activities under the overall guidance, supervision and direction of the Director and Deputy Director (Archaeology) of the Department. In the Archaeological Section technical subordinate of the Technical Assistant and Assistant Curator is Draughtsman. The section endeavors to protect / preserve and promote the historical and archaeological heritage of the state.
ACTIVITIES OF ARCHAEOLOGICAL SECTION
- Maintainance & Development of
(i) ARCHAEOLOGICAL MONUMENTS & SITES
- Organising & Participating in Seminars/Workshop etc.
- Publication of books, articles on Archaeological matters
- Till now, 11nos. of books have been published in Archaeology & History of Arunachal Pradesh
Maintenance of Archaeological Sites: –
A considerable number of monuments and archaeological sites have been discovered and unearthed by the Directorate of Research at various places of the State in different period. Later on necessary efforts have been made for development of archaeological sites viz. Naksaparbat, Itafort, Malinithan, etc. to draw the attention of the tourists. Many important archaeological sites are being maintained by the Archaeology Section which is mentioned below: –
LIST OF ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITES AND MONUMENTS IN ARUNACHAL PRADESH.
Central Protected Monuments (ASI) :-
|Sl.No.||Name of sites||District||Remarks|
|1||Bhalukpong||West Kameng||Ruins of Fort, 9th to 12th Century A.D.|
|2||Bhishmaknagar||Lower Dibang Valley||Ruins of Fort and habitational settlement, 13th to 14th Century A.D.|
|3||Tamresvari Temple||Lohit||Remain of temple, 10th-11th Century A.D.|
State Protection Monument :-
|Sl.No.||Name of sites||District||Remarks|
|1.||Dirang Dzong||West Kameng||Remains of Fort, 17 th Century A.D.|
|2.||Taklung Dzong||West Kameng||Remains of Fort, 17 th century A.D.|
|3.||Naksaparbat||East Kameng||Remains of old settlement, 14 th to 16 th Century A.D.|
|4.||Itafort||Papum Pare||Remains of Fort, 13 th to 14 th Century A.D.|
|5.||Malinithan||West Siang||Remain of Temple, 10 th to 14 th century A.D.|
|6.||Vijyanagar||Changlang||Remains of Stupa, 18 th century A.D.|
|7.||Manabhum||Lohit||Remains of mud fort, 14 th -15 th Century A.D.|
|8.||Thembang Dzong||West Kameng||Ancient Fortified village (Living Village), 17 th -18 th Century A.D|
Unprotected Monument :-
|Sl.No.||Name of sites||District||Remarks|
|1.||Tawang Gompa||Tawang||Monastery, 17 th Century A.D.|
|2.||Lhagyala Gompa||West Kameng||Remains of Monastery, 17 th century A.D.|
|3.||Dirkhi Dzong||West Kameng||Remains of Fort, 14 th to 15 th century A.D.|
|4.||Tapaso||East Kameng||Remains of old settlement, 14 th to 15 th century A.D.|
|5.||Gomsi (Rani)||East Siang||Remains of old settlement,13 th to 14 th century A.D.|
|6.||Hatiduba||Lohit||Remains of Fort and settlement 14 th to 15 th century A.D.|
|7.||Haju||Lohit||Remains of old settlement 13 th to 14 th century A.D.|
|8.||Chidu-Chimri||Lower Dibang Valley||Remains of old settlement 13 th to 14 th century A.D.|
|9.||War Rampart ( Bon-gal Yapgo)||Lower Dibang Valley||Remains of Barricade,19 th century A.D.|
|10.||World War-II Cementry||Changlang||Remains of World War – II.|
|11.||Ugylling Gompa||Tawang||Ruins of old Ugylling Gompa,14th Century A.D.|
|12.||Tsogyenling Gompa||Tawang||Ruin of old Gompa 15 th Century A.D.|
|13.||Chagsam Iron Chain linking bridge||Tawang||Historic Iron chain bridge ( linking Mukto & Tawang) 16 th CentureA.D.|
|14.||Queen Place of Zemithang||Tawang||Palace of queen’s of Zemithang, 17th Century A.D.|
|15.||Rock cut chair||Tawang||Historic Rock cut chair of Zemithang queen 17 th Century A.D.|
|16.||Bass relief of Lord Buddha||Tawang||Gyent bass relic of Lord Buddha on stone Zemithang .|
|17.||Duma chalang of Kalaktang||West Kameng||Remains of old settlement, Kalaktang.|
|18.||Sen Dzong||West Kameng||Remains of old settlement Shergaon, 16 th Century A.D.|
|19.||Mud Gompa||West Kameng||Remains of old mud Gompa, Shergaon, 16 th Century A.D.|
|20.||Megalith of Shergaon||West Kameng||Megalithic site ( Menhirs )of Shergaon, Prehistoric period.|
|21.||Dimachang Betali||West Kameng||Remains of old settlement 16 th Century A.D.|
|22.||Siva Linga||Lower Subansiri||India’s biggest natural Siva Linga at Ziro.|
|23.||Apatani Worship stone||Lower Subansiri||Historic worship stone of Apatani folk at Ziro.|
|24.||Tai Lampii||Lower Subansiri||Historic cave at Ziro.|
|25||Passang||Kurung Kumey||Pre-historic site.|
|26||Samthen Yangcha||West Siang||Old Monastery at Mechuka Valley.|
|27||Rock Art ( Painting )||West Siang||Rock Art (Painting) of Mechuka Historic Period.|
|28||Pelden Thuwang Monastery||West Siang||Old Gompa at Darjeeling village, Mechuka.|
|29||Kalayinjong||Upper Siang||Old monastic ruin of Tuting 16 th Century A.D.|
|30||Kekar Monying||Upper Siang||Historic Remains of Anglo-Adi War, 19 th Century A.D.|
|31||Nyukong Gompa||Upper Siang||Old Monastery of Nyukong Singa circle, 19 th century A.D.|
|32||Siva Linga Temple||Lohit||Ruins of old Temple at Paya, Tezu, 14 th century A.D.|
|33||Ruins of Mud fort, Tezu||Lohit||Remains of old Mudfort Tezu, 14th century A.D.|
|34||Preetnagar||Changlang||Remains of old settlement 17 th Century A.D.|
|35||Temple ruin of Borduria||Tirap||Ruins of old Temple at Borduria, 14 th Century AD.|
|36||Napa Wangche||Tirap||Graveyard of Wangcha queen Nape Wangche 17 th Century A.D.|
|37||Megalith of Borduria||Tirap||Megalithic site of Borduria village, 19 th Century A.D.|
All the archaeological sites are of medieval period ranging from 9th -12th century A.D. to 15th -17th century A.D. These sites are regularly maintained by the Archaeology Section of the Directorate of Research. To look after the archaeological sites, the Technical Assistants are posted at different places. Naksaparbat is controlled directly from the Headquarter and Gomsi (Rani) is being maintained by the Technical Assistants, Malinithan. Periodical chemical treatment of the antiquities of museums and monumental structure has been continued around the year. On the other hand the cleaning of vegetation growth on the monuments and keeping a constant vigil of the site is being carried out.
ARCHAEOLOGICAL EXPOLORATION, EXCAVATION, CONSERVATION AND PRESERVATION: –
During 2016-2017, the Archaeological Section of the Directorate of Research has been explored and investigates at various places of Arunachal Pradesh and also carries out conservation / renovation and preservation works at different sites.
- Archaeological field investigation/ exploration of Sori-Langhi site of Donigaon Village under Seppa during August’2016.
- Chemical treatment of Bass relief of Lord Buddha during August’2016.
- The Archaeological Section carried out archaeological excavation and conservation works at the Western Gate and Eastern Gate Itafort (1st phase) during September-October’2016 and 2nd phase on February-March’2017.
- Carried out archaeological excavation, conservation/renovation and preservation of ramparts steps of both entry and exit gates of Thembang Dzong and also constructed underground drainage system within the Dzong during November-December’2016.
- Archaeological excavation at Malinithan Site during November’2017.
- Chemical conservation of antrala/mandapa of Malinithan ruins temple during November-December’2016.
- Carried out archaeological investigation, conservation and preservation of stone alters at Ziro during January’2017.
- The Archaeological Section supervised the construction of footpath at Piisapu Putu of Ziro during February-March’2017.
- The Archaeological Section carried out archaeological excavation and conservation works at the Western Gate and Eastern Gate Itafort (2nd phase) during March’2017.
- The Archaeological Section supervised the monastic painting at Jamchu Chorten (Morshing Gompa) during February-March’2017.
- The Archaeological Section developed the flower garden at Southern Gate Itafort during September’2016.
- The Archaeological Section carried out videography and photography of cultural landscape of Ziro during October’2016.
- Field tour to Ziro to assess the materials for dossier preparation of Tentative List World Heritage Site ‘Apatani Cultural Landscape’ during February’2017 by the Archaeological Section.